Apple Tree Project Travels to Great Cranberry & Frenchboro Islands
Arlo Saxby, a kindergarten student at the Frenchboro School in Frenchboro on Long Island, is proudly displaying the apple tree donated by the Bar Harbor Garden Club. He helped his teacher, Laura Venger, plant the tree this spring.
Photograph courtesy of Laura Venger
Another apple tree had an adventure on its way to the Longfellow School located on Great Cranberry Island. Haley Eastabrook, Longfellow School teacher, enlisted the help of a friend to take the apple tree to the dock, board the Mailboat, ride the school van, and reach its final destination at the Longfellow School! The apple tree will be planted in the Longfellow school yard.
Apple tree boarding the ferry to Great Cranberry Island. Photograph courtesy of Gail Grandgent
The Bar Harbor Garden Club’s Apple Tree Project has donated an apple tree to all of the following schools in the Mount Desert Island Regional School System, a private school and a non-profit agency for adults and children:
- Ashley Bryan School, Little Cranberry Island
- Conners Emerson School, Bar Harbor
- Pemetic Elementary School, Southwest Harbor
- Mount Desert Elementary School, Northeast Harbor
- Swan’s Island School, Swan’s Island
- Tremont Consolidated School, Bass Harbor
- Trenton Elementary School, Trenton
- Mount Desert Island High School
- The Community School of Mount Desert Island
- Downeast Horizons-Mount Desert Island center